Some of the most colorful components of an illumination system after the light bulb, are switches and outlets hence as the luminaire, they are constantly in view. Many people believe that the only detail to take care when choosing this item is the aesthetic, but it is not. In this article we will share information on different models of switches and outlets so that you know the existing variety of models that are available according to the individual needs of your system.
Types of existing switches
Number of Poles that a simple switch can have
- Single switch- 2 poles
- 3 way switch - 3-poles
- 4-way switch - 4-poles
- Duplex outlet - 2-pole
- Duplex outlet with interrupter - 3 poles
Poles are circuits that are controlled by the switch:
- 1 or 2-poles are used to turn on a lamp.
- 3-poles are to control a light bulb from different switches.
- 4-poles are to control several bulbs with a single switch.
Number of ways that a switch can have
- 1-way switch: Control the lighting in public areas.
- Two-way switch: It´s an electrical device that allows the on and off for any type of current.
- 3-way switch: Also known as three-point switch, is used to allow the control of any type of current from 2 points.
- 4-way switch: Allows control of any type of current from 3 or more points.
3 and 4-way switches are designed to be used in the handling of lighting in areas such as:
- Residential and hotel rooms
Single switch is designed for the control of lighting in areas such as:
- Shopping malls
Types of existing outlets
There are three different categories of outlets:
- Commercial use
- Industrial use
- Residential use
Outlets of commercial use
This type of outlets is used in places like hospitals, laboratories or other places with technology that uses a special plug.
Outlets for industrial use
This type of outlets is used in the industry since they require high resistance and durability due to conditions in factories, warehouses, etc.
This simple outlet that we all know, is the one typically installed in residences.
We hope this article has been useful. If you are interested to learn more about various subjects of lighting, we invite you to read other articles from our blog.